Create a Mozzie Free Zone
Waxworks citronella products are most effective when used to reduce the mosquitoes ability to bite us, creating a protective “mozzie-free” zone around your outdoor entertaining area.
Here are some tips on how to improve the effectiveness of your Waxworks products.
- Waxworks candles should be placed close to where you are sitting to be most effective. Placing multiple candles also increase the effectiveness.
- Aim to position Waxwork products around walls or outdoor furniture approximately 1 metre distance from each product, creating the “mozzie-free” zone. The protective barrier created by the citronella scent of Waxworks products will deter mosquitoes from entering the area you want to protect.
- Waxworks citronella products can also be placed under outdoor tables to provide heavy duty protection to a small area. Be careful not to knock these over your feet.
- On windy days, the scent is more likely to be blown away and disperse quicker. Improve effectiveness by positioning in areas where the wind is minimal and allow less distance between each product.
- To prevent an excessively large flame and minimise smoke, allow your candle to burn for 2-3 hours, then extinguish and allow to cool. Trim the wick to 6mm then relight.
- As a good safety practice, discontinue use when wax reaches 1cm from the base.
- Never leave burning items unattended or unsupervised at any time.
- Waxworks products are produced with premium Citronella essential oil, effective in repelling mosquitoes, blocking their scent receptors – not killing them.
Other Helpful Hints
To reduce the chance of being bitten this summer, try to make your backyard & home uninviting to mozzies by:
- Empty out stagnant water in containers like pot plant plates/saucers, buckets etc, to eliminate breeding grounds.
- Keep the pool clean.
- Remove leaf (organic) matter from gutters so water can drain freely.
- Keep the yard clean & tidy, throw out unwanted items like old tyres, broken pot plants, these hold water & create the perfect mozzie habitat.
- Put screens on the windows & doors to stop them coming inside.
Mozzie magnets – ever wonder why some of us are more prone to being bitten?
- We all react differently to a mosquito bite, prior to biting, the female mozzie injects saliva into us (gets the blood flowing more freely), it’s the injected “mozzie spit” which causes some people to react worse than others. Many of us react differently to food, chemical or environmental allergens too.
Our pets are at risk too!
- Did you know our pets can be bitten by mosquitoes, and just like us, they can have a reaction too.
- Always use a product which is specifically designed to be used on your pets, talk to your Vet about what’s best.